One of the most requested pieces of information Cinescopophilia is asked for is the details and timing of the upcoming Sony FS100 series NEX cameras. Sony have now released the date for the NEX FS100 firmware upgrade and the the full details of improvements and extras for the camera. Sony will also release firmware upgrades for the HXR-NX70U camera.
NEX-FS100U and NEX-FS100UK Firmware Upgrade
Firmware upgrades for NEX-FS100U & NEX-FS100UK are planned for March 22, 2012.
Upgrade Cost & Procedure
No cost: follow firmware download instructions from FS100 webpage, connect PC to camera via USB and run user installable upgrade. Optionally, the upgrade may be professionally installed by Sony Professional Service Depots (labor charges apply).
Additional NEX-FS100U & NEX-FS100UK features*
1. Added 50Hz recording system (PAL): 1920×1080 50p, 50i, 25p and 1280×720 50p.
2. Camera Profile (camera settings can be saved to and loaded from a memory card).
3. Additional 4x and 8x Expanded Focus magnification: (with user selectable focus area).
4. Selectable ISO or GAIN sensitivity display.
5. Selectable Focus indication in FEET or METERS (E-mount lens only).
6. Selectable Shutter indication as EXPOSURE TIME or SHUTTER ANGLE.
7. Added the following Aspect-Ratio markers: 2.35:1, 1.85:1 and 1.66:1.
8. Display ON/OFF button enables Zebra and/or Histogram overlay onto video output.
9. Compatible with the new A-Mount to E-Mount adaptor, model LA-EA2. One push Auto-IRIS and continuous 15-point, Phase-Detection Auto-Focus operation with most Alpha A-Mount lenses is available. Lens metadata is displayed onscreen and stored real-time to image file.
HXR-NX70U Firmware Upgrade
A firmware upgrade for the HXR-NX70U is planned for March 22, 2012.
Upgrade Cost & Procedure
No cost: follow firmware download instructions from HXR-NX70U webpage, connect PC to camera via USB and run user installable upgrade. Optionally, the upgrade may be professionally installed by Sony Professional Service Depots (labor charges apply).
Additional HXR-NX70U features*
1. Enhanced performance of zoom rocker operation (Selectable zoom speed).
2. Dual Recording Mode enables simultaneous HD recording to its 96GB internal memory and memory card.
3. Added 1920×1080 30p and 1280×720 60p recording modes.
4. The EXPANDED FOCUS and HISTOGRAM buttons are now assignable keys.
5. Added Last Scene Review feature.
6. The Display ON/OFF button now also controls display of the Face Detection Box onto video output.
7. Display ON/OFF optionally overlays Zebra and/or Histogram display onto video output.
*Listed features and specifications may change before the actual upgrade release.