I saw a photo of a camera rig set up on a stand at InterBEE and could not work out what I was seeing. I could roughly work out it was an ND filter of sorts placed between the camera and the lens; but what was it doing on a camera that already had ND filters built into the camera? Well now I know… Please forgive the Fujinon press release as it is a straight translation from Japanese to English…
FUJIFILM have released the “FUJINON ND-P01” variable light intensity adjustment was realized as optical filters for continuous broadcasting will be on sale from January. Was developed with the help of (NHK) Japan Broadcasting Corporation, ND filter HD broadcast compatible (* 1) (* 2), “ND-P01” has been adopted adapter installed between the camera and lens you.
Currently, to adjust the amount of light when producing shows including live sports photography and drama, he lens iris, or switch, depending on the brightness (ND filter turret type) ND filter multiple built-in camera You can adjust the I is common. However, if you use the ND filter of the turret type, and switch the filter during the shoot, it would be unnatural black frame of the video filter across the TV screen. If you want to adjust the aperture will change the depth of field, you can shoot or not it was an accident, such as a decrease in image quality caused by (* 3) diffraction of light. It is effective ND filter variable to solve these problems can be adjusted continuously quantity, filters far light transmittance and can not correspond to the shooting dark low, and high-quality video in every scene It was not the performance that can be used in the broadcast industry sought.
Cutting edge technologies such as optical technologies and materials that we have accumulated over the years, has achieved continuous light intensity adjustment, the market this time “ND-P01” is a variable ND filter broadcast compatible HD.
Combining two filters developed which give density change in a gradient, by rotating in the opposite direction, respectively Moreover, “ND-P01”, you can change steplessly transmittance of light. Thereby, some reflection of the black frame filter when using the turret type ND filter is eliminated, it is possible to shoot a natural image. The ability to adjust the amount of light regardless, it is possible to take pictures by making use blur to open the aperture, and aperture setting you can express a clear picture to avoid diffraction phenomenon that occurs when narrowed down.
“ND-P01” Furthermore, the light transmittance achieves up to about 90%. We provide high quality video even in dark shooting conditions. In addition, we adopted the adapter installed between the lens and the camera, you can easily installed camera and lens 2/3 inches · B4 mount.
“ND-P01” is ideal for filming, such as obtaining location filming gap of light and dark dark place while traversing the relay and outdoor sports stadium in the intense, bright location and the effect of blur.
By making full use of technologies such as processing and assembly precision and optical technologies developed over many years, Fujifilm offers a wide range of lenses for cinema camera and TV lens, such as a camera lens for mobile phones, the lens corresponding to the age of high definition digital you. Future, not only lens, also expanded line-up of peripheral equipment, will respond to the diverse needs of our customers.
* Stands for 1 High Definition. Invention that high-definition video system 1080 scanning lines to be about twice the prior art.
* 2 ND stands for Neutral Density. The ND filter, the filter that can reduce the amount of light entering the lens without affecting the color.
* I will spread phenomenon of wave 3 light wrap to the area behind the object.
For the first time in the world (1), has achieved continuous light intensity adjustment, ND variable filter broadcast compatible HD
* combination of the two made full use of technologies such as optical technologies and materials that we have accumulated over the years, the shape of the gradient of a newly developed filter, ND filter variable broadcast compatible HD.
* Placed opposite to each other two filters were put in the form of changes in the concentration gradient. Furthermore, by rotating in the opposite direction, you can change steplessly transmittance of light. Thereby, when using the ND filter was in the turret type, reflection of the black frame is lost during recording filters, it is possible to shoot a natural image. The ability to adjust the amount of light regardless, it is possible to take pictures by making use blur to open the aperture, and aperture setting can also express a clear picture to avoid diffraction phenomenon that occurs when narrowed down.
Up to about 90% light transmittance (2)
* Achieve a light transmittance of up to about 90%. We will allow high-quality video even in dark shooting conditions.
* Light can be reduced to 1/64, has secured the dimming range equivalent turret type.
Adoption of the system (3) Adapter
* Scheme adapter interposed between the lens and the camera. You can easily mounted camera and lens 2/3 inches · B4 mount.
* Power supply can be from the camera. And less than about 4 watts power consumption, reducing the load on the battery.
Switching modes in which you can easily (4) Dial
* That the switching of the “ND manual” “ND” Auto “Auto Iris” is “Off”, the dial can be easily done. You can select the appropriate one depending depending on the use of the shooting.
Efficient operation by the controller (sold separately) (5)
* By squeezing the camera to the camera control unit to control the black level of the video signal and white, and color tone, connect the controller (sold separately), you can remote control to adjust the amount of light of ND filter is possible. Such as football and golf sports relay, car relay than away from the camera, you can manage video information, including light intensity adjustment of ND filters, we provide efficient operation.
Read the complete Fujinon press release on the FUJINON ND-P01 filter HERE.