At NAB, Adobe showcased advances to its complete lineup of video technologies and services that radically improve how broadcasters, filmmakers and video professionals create, collaborate, deliver and monetize content across multiple screens. NAB marked the first public preview of major updates to Adobe Creative Cloud video tools, including a revolutionary new color panel in Adobe Premiere Pro CC for instant color corrections and Morph Cut, which easily removes unwanted pauses and jump cuts for a more polished edit sequence as well as new Adobe Character Animator capabilities for Adobe After Effects CC that bring two-dimensional characters to life. In addition, the company is previewing Project “Candy,” a mobile CC Capture app, which is the latest addition to the growing set of Create Cloud enabled mobile apps. It is connected to a user’s Creative Cloud Profile and therefore lets anyone using their smartphone camera capture amazing production quality lighting schemes and then apply them to video footage in Premiere Pro CC.
Innovations like these are driving rapid adoption of the company’s video workflows: recent Premiere Pro converts include the four-time Academy Award winning Coen Brothers, who are currently editing their film, Hail, Caesar!; and director Rhys Thomas and producer Lorne Michaels of Saturday Night Live, with Staten Island Summer, due out in 2015. In addition, MLB Network switched their editing and post-production environment to a complete Creative Cloud workflow.
At NAB, Adobe announced significant enhancements to Adobe Primetime, which has emerged as the global leader in powering TV content across screens including over-the-top (OTT) devices such as Apple TV® and Roku®. Specifically, Adobe is unveiling innovations in video delivery, monetization and personalization to enable new OTT business models for content owners, programmers and pay-TV providers. The company is partnering with service solution providers, including industry pioneer MLBAM, to offer innovative OTT programming for live, linear and video-on-demand services across TVs and screens everywhere. Adobe is working with MLBAM to power live streaming of the Major League Baseball season, providing playback and delivery capabilities for all games. Also, several of MLBAM’s sports, news and entertainment partners have introduced the first direct-to-consumer TV apps leveraging Adobe Primetime technologies. Additionally, Turner Broadcasting is using Adobe Primetime for ad insertion on Apple TV and other OTT devices.
Adobe is also previewed a new configuration for Adobe Anywhere, a collaborative workflow platform that enables distributed teams using products such as Premiere Pro CC and Adobe Prelude CC to work together — utilizing centralized media and shared projects to efficiently shoot, log, edit and finish video productions.
Unveiling the Next Wave of Innovation in Adobe Creative Cloud
Adobe will soon release significant updates to the video tools and technologies that are a key component of Creative Cloud. Key innovations include:
- The new Lumetri Color panel in Premiere Pro CC, a color workflow that combines the power of Adobe SpeedGrade CC technologies with Adobe Lightroom’s ease-of-use, allowing editors to quickly achieve great results for simple color corrections or complex looks.
- Capture inspiration anywhere with Project “Candy,” a new mobile CC Capture app that provides an easy way to capture and share production quality lighting and color schemes by using the camera on a mobile phone and then applying them to a project in Premiere Pro CC.
- Bring two-dimensional characters to life with the new Character Animator capabilities for Adobe After Effects CC. Adobe Character Animator solves the time-consuming process animators face by eliminating frame-by-frame adjustments. By acting out a character’s movement in front of a webcam, Character Animator tracks the movement of the user’s head, mouth and eyes and can trigger bodily movements using a keyboard to ensure characters are as lifelike as possible.
- Immediate access to creative assets with new Creative Profile support in Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC and a growing set of Creative Cloud enabled mobile apps.
- Adobe Magic made possible by groundbreaking research to make everyday tasks easier and faster with new features such as Morph Cut in Premiere Pro CC that takes out unwanted pauses and jump cuts; Face Tracker in After Effects CC that tracks facial gestures for greater masking accuracy; and Time Tuner in both Premiere Pro CC and Adobe Media Encoder CC, automatically adjusts the duration of your video to a pre-set length while maintaining high quality results.
Advancing TV Delivery and Monetization
More and more consumers are watching live and on-demand TV on tablets, smartphones, OTT and other devices. According to the latest Adobe Digital Index data, 13 million viewers accessed their favorite TV Everywhere content quarterly last year, more than twice as many as in 2013. The growth across OTT devices is even more impressive with the number of viewers watching premium video increasing by 350 percent year over year. To help broadcasters and pay-TV providers scale video delivery across screens with closed captioning, robust content protection, and ad insertion instantly across TV apps and operating systems, Adobe is introducing the latest version of Adobe Primetime. The platform is able to authenticate 2.25 million viewers per minute, three times more than just a year ago, and deliver dramatic performance improvements with videos launching instantly – up to four times faster than before. Additionally, Adobe Primetime now supports all major third-party DRM technologies to address the challenge of content protection in closed playback environments.
- Steve Warner, vice president, Digital Video and Audio, Adobe
“From planning to playback, Adobe is delivering advanced workflows for every step of the creative journey. The industry is switching to Premiere Pro CC and our tightly integrated set of video tools because of the constant stream of innovation coming from our labs. Our move to Creative Cloud, with deeply connected mobile-to-desktop workflows combined with continued innovation in Adobe Primetime ensures our customers have the tools and services to create, deliver and monetize stunning videos, TV shows, films and commercials across any screen faster than ever before.”
- Joe Inzerillo, executive vice president and CTO, MLBAM
“Since MLB.TV was born as the internet’s first OTT product 13 years ago, we have remained focused on building reliable, highly engaging live TV viewing experiences at true broadcast scale. Adobe Primetime, with its support for DRM, the industry-standard authentication capability and robust HD video playback allows us to offer consistent video experiences across more than 400 devices, including the latest breed of OTT products.”
- Tab Butler, director, Media Management & Post Production, MLB Network
“This season At MLB Network, we are rolling out Adobe Premiere Pro as our editing platform for both HD Edit and desktop workstations. For the 2015 baseball season, we are deploying the Premiere Pro 2014 release, and we’re looking forward to taking advantage of the new features available in the next release of Premiere Pro. The enhancements within the new color tools, such as Lumetri support, and sharable CC Libraries, along with enhanced video scopes, are all appealing. We are also very interested in the advancements being made to help us work more efficiently with audio in Premiere Pro. The next release of Premiere Pro will be an excellent addition to our Creative Cloud solution.”
- Robbie Carman, vice president, Colorist, Amigo Media LLC
“Project Candy gives anyone involved in production and post a new way to think about and capture color. If you see light or color that inspires, simply capture it with Project Candy on your mobile device and sync the look with Creative Cloud automatically. The captured look can then be applied to shots as a starting point for color correction in Adobe Premiere Pro and other Adobe video applications. It’s an amazing tool that will inspire the way you think about color and that’s great for everyone.”
- Brian Maffitt, Animator, Photographer, Videographer, Total Training, Inc.
“Adobe Character Animator solves an age-old problem of how to quickly rig and animate characters that hasn’t really been addressed in this space before. This will allow me to include character work where I didn’t include it before, either due to budget or time restrictions. With Adobe Character Animator the economics of animation change dramatically.”
- What’s New in Adobe Creative Cloud for Video: Overview and Creative Cloud Blog
- Datasheets: All Pro Video Tools and Character Animator
- Adobe at NAB: Booth Presentation Guide and Event Schedule
- Learn more about the $29.99/mo offer for Video Professionals: Video segment webpage
- NAB Online Event on Thursday, April 16 showcasing new innovations: Sign up here
- Adobe Primetime: Adobe Digital Index 2014 U.S. Digital Video Report
- Facebook: Creative Cloud, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Adobe CC Video & Audio
- Twitter: Creative Cloud, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Adobe CC Video & Audio
- Blog articles: Premiere Pro blog, After Effects Blog, Audition Blog, SpeedGrade blog, Adobe Media Encoder blog andCharacter Animator blog
Pricing and Availability
At NAB, Adobe is previewing the next major updates to Creative Cloud, Primetime and Adobe Anywhere. These updates are expected to ship in the coming months. The company is offering a special offer aimed at video professionals who switch to Adobe Creative Cloud, for US $29.99 a month for the first year. The offer is valid through May 29, 2015. For more information, visithttps://www.adobe.com/go/video.
About Adobe Creative Cloud
Creative Cloud features the world’s leading creative desktop apps, a growing family of mobile apps that are seamlessly integrated with desktop tools and creative assets, expert training and access to a dynamic creative community where creatives can discover inspiration and opportunity. At the heart of Creative Cloud is a Creative Profile, the member’s creative identity. The Creative Profile connects users to their Creative Cloud Libraries — assets such as photos, colors, brushes, shapes, fonts, text styles and graphics. With a Creative Profile, this library is always at the designer’s fingertips because their Creative Profile moves with them, across apps and across devices.
Creative Cloud is transforming how creatives find inspiration and produce their best work — and the value of Creative Cloud is increasing all the time through product updates and new capabilities. A major update to Creative Cloud is expected in the coming months that will introduce new ways for creatives to connect their creativity across mobile and desktop, accelerate their productivity and work more efficiently.
About Adobe Systems Incorporated
Adobe is changing the world through digital experiences. For more information, visit www.adobe.com.
© 2015 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved. Adobe, the Adobe logo, Creative Cloud, Premiere Pro, After Effects, SpeedGrade and Lightroom are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.