The guys at Magic Lantern have been working hard to bring real world motion camera controls to the Canon DSLR’s. Trammell and crew have had good success with the Canon 5D MKII and now have made great in roads to bring those same features to the 550D / T2i camera. There are known issues and they are working through those. However it appears the guys in the last week at Magic Lantern have made good progress to bring the 550D T2i camera into the big league.
Like the Magic Lantern firmware update for the Canon 5D MKII the QScale controls for the 550D T2i appears to happiest and stable around 60mbit/sec. With a variable bit rate selection, it is possible to record longer at a lower rate and film up to 30 minutes in full HD mode.
Great essential features that are getting tested and now run on a 550d T2i camera are GUI menus, Bit rate control (QScale parameter) for the H.264 encoder, Zebra stripes, Onscreen audio meters, Manual audio gain, Selectable input source, Disable AGC, Spotmeter, Histogram, Cropmarks, Trap Focus, AE bracketing, Rack focus, Stack focus, and Display time remaining during video recording.
Here are a few videos showing the new Magic Lantern firmware updates for the 550D T2i camera shooting test shots.
– GUI menus: press the ERASE button to display them
– Bit rate control (QScale parameter) for the H.264 encoder
– Zebra stripes for overexposed / underexposed areas
– Spotmeter, histogram
– Trap Focus: camera takes a picture when something – Wireless trigger with the LCD face sensor & your own hand
– AE bracketing (like on 5D2 ML)
– Rack focus
– Stack focus (Live View only)
– Lens data computation
– Onscreen audio meters
– Manual audio gain, selectable input source, disable AGC and digital lters
– Display time remaining during video recording
– Debug functions (display CMOS temperature, screenshot, logging)
Go here to download Magic Lantern firmware updates for the Canon 550D T2i camera.