Only RED cameras offer the REDCODE RAW codec
REDCODE RAW maximizes image fidelity and flexibility in post, and file sizes can be adjusted (“tuned”) for superior quality with the added benefit of lower storage requirements that codecs such as ProRes simply don’t offer.
The REDCODE RAW workflow – featuring non-destructive editing – is fully supported by major post software (AVID, Adobe, Apple, Resolve, etc.).
REDCODE files offer additional metadata with more information about how the image was shot that carries through the workflow. It’s simply the most powerful and enabling tool for today’s large-format cinematography needs, and it’s only from RED Digital Cinema.
This RED TECH covers the benefits of RED cameras recording in RAW and the technology, REDCODE, that makes it possible to have efficient, manageable file sizes while maintaining image quality and flexibility. REDCODE is critical for managing the massive detail in 8K imagery which translates into saved time and money for shooters. Also, REDCODE allows for non-destructive editing and stores the original material without modifying or requiring a duplicate copy of the material. This makes grading fully reversible, maximizes image quality, and reduces storage requirements.
Here are the top 5 highlights to utilize REDCODE RAW:
1. RED cameras record RAW data to maximize image fidelity and post-production flexibility.
2. REDCODE RAW provides tunable file sizes for superior image quality and lower storage requirements than ProRes or other codecs.
3. Enables a RAW workflow with non-destructive editing which is fully supported by all the major post-production software packages such as Adobe, Apple, Avid, Resolve, etc.
4. Because the files are RAW, additional metadata is available, giving us a window into how the image was shot.
5. No other camera has this capability.
To request a video on a specific topic, please email REDTECH[at]red.com
SUBSCRIBE to RED Digital Cinema’s YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/shotonred
Connect with RED Digital Cinema online:
Visit the RED Digital Cinema WEBSITE: http://www.red.com/