Cinoflex wanted to let the Cinescopophilia readers know they are excited to be working on and testing in conjunction with T M Camera Solutions 4K tests with the new and as yet unreleased LEICA SL type 601 Camera.
Remember Cinoflex make high end camera systems for a living so they know a thing or two about pushing cameras to the limits.
Here is what Cinoflex are doing with that Leica SL type 601 camera…
Testing the Leica SL Camera in 4K 10-Bit 4:2:2 Super 35 / 4K 8 Bit FULL FRAME / Full Frame DNG Photo Mode – with a variety of lenses, including ANAMORPHIC.
equipment used in testing:
– CINOFLEX XLT CAMERA RIG
– LEICA SL TYPE 601 CAMERA
– LEICA CW SONDEROPTIC PL MOUNT ADAPTER
– ODYSSEY 7Q+ 4K RECORDER / MONITOR
– LEICA-C SUMMILUX 50MM T1.4
– ZEISS MASTER PRIME 100MM T1.3
– LEICA VINTAGE 35MM T1.4 (COURTESY OF PANAVISION)
– KOWA ANAMORPHIC 40MM T2.4
– TLS COOKE SPEED PANCHRO S1 50MM T2.3
– LEICA VINTAGE 19MM T2.8 (COURTESY OF PANAVISION)
– ANTON BAUER HC BATTERY
– TV LOGIC 17″ MONITOR
The LEICA SL is very impressive for a few elements:
– smooth clean color rendition
– very subtle and clean flesh tones out of the box
– the image is reminiscent of Arri Alexa for a smooth curve
– phenomenal build quality, truly one of the most solid cameras!
– Super 35 is almost absent of image shift (JELLO EFFECT)
– The image handles aliasing extremely well
– Easy to hook up with FULL SIZE HDMI – very important
– The LEICA – or – L LOG is a great Gamma Option
– Menu is very intuitive and limited in pages
The Leica SL produces an outstanding image in this scenario:
– Super 35 4K 10-Bit 4:2:2
– Leica Log – L LOG – V LOG / Gamma Setting
– PL MOUNT / Professional Lens
– On a Quality Rig – CINOFLEX
– Cinema Lenses to mitigate any image shift in focus (breathing)
– A dependable and robust recorder – ODYSSEY 7Q+
The Leica SL is a great camera for video shooters looking for options between high quality 10-Bit 4K S35 and FF 4K Internal, as well as exceptional DNG photographs!