At NAB 2014 Blackmagic Design have announced their 10-bit 4:2:2 video Blackmagic Studio Camera.
Here is a quick rip from their manual…
We are extremely excited to have designed the Blackmagic Studio Camera, ever since I was a teenager I have loved live production, it’s so exciting! Traditionally cameras with talkback and tally were very expensive and physically large, so hard to manage. We really wanted to solve this problem by designing a more compact camera that included all the talkback, tally and camera control features of physically much larger cameras. That’s why the Blackmagic Studio Camera was developed. We wanted to build a much smaller camera for portability, however normally small cameras have small tiny screens. We did not want that.
What we really wanted was a much larger viewﬁnder! The result is Blackmagic Studio Camera, the smallest broadcast camera but with a very large viewﬁnder that’s wonderful to use! Precise focus and framing are so easy with a viewﬁnder this large! Of course you get tally indicators, talkback, massive built in battery and of course a fantastic quality camera with ﬂexible MFT lens mount.
It’s everything you need in a complete package! You can plug in larger wind protected microphones even with phantom power and the optical ﬁber is built in so you can run your camera miles away from your switcher! If you need, you can even add a HyperDeck Shuttle and use the camera for general production use! We hope you use your new camera for some amazing live productions and produce some fantastic looking work! We are extremely excited to see what creative work you produce!
Grant Petty CEO Blackmagic Design.
Supported Video Formats for the Blackmagic Studio Camera
1920 x 1080p23.98
1920 x 1080p24
1920 x 1080p25
1920 x 1080p29.97
1920 x 1080p30
1920 x 1080p50
1920 x 1080p59.94
1920 x 1080p60
1920 x 1080i50
1920 x 1080i59.94
1920 x 1080i6
1. FRONT TALLY LIGHT Indicates to the on-air talent which camera is currently “live”.
2. LANC REMOTE 2.5mm stereo jack for LANC remote control supports iris, zoom and focus control.
3. AVIATION HEADPHONE S0.25″ TRS connector for monitoring PGM and control room audio with aviation style headsets.
4. HEADPHONES MICROPHONE INPUT 0.206″ TRS connector for talking to the control room with aviation style headsets.
5. AUDIO INPUTS 2 x 1/4″ balanced XLR connectors for audio input.
6. OPTICAL INPUT/OUTPUT Optical input and output allows cable runs of up to 28 miles.
7. SDI OUT SDI output for connecting to a switcher or other device.
8. SDI IN SDI input allows the camera operator to view the Program (PGM) output.
9. REFERENCE INPUT Allows multiple cameras to be genlocked to a blackburst or tri-level reference signal.
10. POWER 12 – 24V power input for power supply and battery charging. Getting Started FOCUS IRIS PTT PGM LUT SET DISPLAY MENU
11. 10″ LCD Monitor live camera output or program output, or view the menu.
12. REAR TALLY LIGHT When lit it indicates to the camera operator that their camera is currently “live”.
13. FOCUS BUTTON Press once to autofocus or twice to display focus peaking on the LCD.
14. IRIS BUTTON Press once for auto exposure.
15. PUSH TO TALK BUTTON (PTT) Press and HOLD to talk. Press twice in quick succession for hands free communication. Press again to revert to the default behavior.
16. PROGRAM (PGM) BUTTON Press to toggle between live camera output and program output from a switcher control room.
17. LOOK UP TABLE (LUT) BUTTON Currently not implemented.
18. MENU NAVIGATION BUTTONS Navigate the menu on the LCD.
19. SET BUTTON Use this button to conﬁrm your menu selections.
20. DISPLAY BUTTON Press this button to toggle overlays on and off.
21. MENU BUTTON Access the menu on the LCD.
22. POWER BUTTON Press the power button to turn on the Blackmagic Studio Camera. Press and hold the button to turn the camera off.
23. USB CONNECTOR